Our Green Policy
Our environment has become a subject of increasing importance in the world. Datum recognizes the importance of a sustainable earth and believes it is the responsibility of every person and every enterprise to set a standard for sustainability by assessing the impact of their business practices on our environment and implementing sound policies through out their process and daily operation.
Datum strives to demonstrate that a manufacturer, through education and action with employees, customers and vendors, can exist successfully while improving the environment. As more options for environmentally friendly products and services become available, Datum promises to expand its dedication to a greener way of conducting business for all of our futures.
Below is an overview of what we are doing currently to help improve the environment as well as what we plan to do in the near future:
- Datum makes every effort to purchase raw materials containing recycled content. The major raw materials purchased by Datum have the following recycled contents:
- Cold Rolled Steel contains an average minimum of 50% recycled content
- Cardboard contains 43% post consumer recycled content
- Particle Board no new trees are harvested for production of the particle board used in Datum products; pre-consumer waste wood from other operations such as saw mills and planning mills supply the raw material plus approximately 5% is from secondary sources such as construction and demolition.
- All scrap metals, cardboard packaging, aluminum cans and plastics are recycled.
- Datum office employees recycle paper at each workstation.
- Printer ink cartridges are sent to a recycling facility.
- Mobile phones are donated to local charities.
- Most Datum printed materials are produced on recycled paper with soy based printing inks.
ENERGY & MATERIAL CONSUMPTION REDUCTION
- Invested $65,000 for second lighting conversion to 265 energy efficient fixtures (Phillips 6 bulb T8 fluorescent) to reduce energy usage by 309,000 KWH per year and decrease CO2 emissions by 464,000 pounds per year.
- More than 10% of Datum's workforce carpools to work and half of Datum's sales managers telecommute. Estimate energy savings of 1,300 gallons of gasoline.
- A portion of trainings and sales presentations are being conducted via webinars. Estimate of energy savings approximately 750 gallons of gasoline.
- Delivered bottled water was eliminated and replaced with faucet purification system eliminating fuel for delivery of water.
- Installed motion sensor lights in bathrooms, break rooms, and conference rooms.
- Office employees have reduced copier paper consumption by 40% by printing on both sides of paper as well as shrinking size of printed content.
- Office employees were provided funds to purchase reusable beverage containers, eliminating Styrofoam cups.
- Datum prefers to work with suppliers who have green practices in place as well as give preference to vendors located in close proximity to reduce fuel required for delivery of goods.
- Customer mailings have been reduced by 80% and replaced with email communication.
- 100% of our painted components are powder coated.
- All Datum adhesives used in our facility are water based.
RENEWABLE ENERGY INITIATIVES
- Has contracted with renewable energy consultant to determine the feasibility of installing wind turbines to produce 60-75% of our electric usage.
- Exploring partnership with photovoltaic panel provider determine the feasibility of using our building roof for the installation of solar panels.
- Created a product recycling program that allows our dealers and their customers to recycle Datum product:
- For 5% of the sales price of the product plus freight Datum will remove product from the field and recycle it.
- Additional dismantling charges may be required based on product installation.
- 90 to 95% of the content in Datum products can be recycled reducing the impact of our products on the environment.
- An internal Green team works to identify practices that can be implemented for positive environmental impact.
- Green practices and tips are shared with customer base as well as employees.